I have had the privilege of knowing and being loved by all of my grandparents. Last night, my Grandpa Alkema passed away. I spent lots of hours at Grandpa and Grandma Alkema's as a kid; hiding among the apple trees, sneaking into grandpa's garden, being bounced around on grandpa's knee (and yes, in those bouncy moments always wondering when he was going to pop out those fake teeth and scare me half to death...that happened).
I still get Birthday cards from grandpa and grandma, receive an endless stream of forwarded emails about government and the evils of this world from grandpa that drove me bonkers. My grandpa knew what he believed in, always stood strong in his faith in The Lord and was always willing to share what was on his mind.
I am glad Gabe had the chance to meet him, grateful for the smile on grandpa's face when the house filled with the giggles and skittering feet of his many great grand kids. I hope Gabe will always know just how much he is loved and how blessed he is to have all his grandparents and three remaining great grandparents.
Rest in peace, Grandpa.

No comments:
Post a Comment